There are 2 possible causes that would do this.
In rare cases, a setting gets mixed up and needs to be reset and this might cause the same behavior.
Click the Settings link at the top right of the Express Plugin and see if ‘Use a Proxy server to connect’ is checked.
To check to see if this is the issue, go to the Settings link in the Express plugin and see if ‘Use a proxy server to connect’ is checked.
If it is, follow these steps to correct the issue.
Steps to fix proxy server check box
- Go into the Settings screen and uncheck the option “Use a proxy server to connect”
- Click the Logoff link at the top right of the form
- Close PowerPoint and then reopen it.
- Go to the PresentationPro tab and click Search Designs to open the Express plugin.
- Here’s the trick that fixes it…On the Welcome screen, fill in your email address and password. Then you need to check and then uncheck the proxy option. Put a check next to “Use a proxy server to connect” and then click it again to remove the check. The rest of the fields underneath should disappear.
- Click login at the bottom. Now go to the settings screen again and the “use proxy server to connect” should be unchecked.
If the proxy server option is not checked, then in most cases, the database file used to show designs has gotten corrupted and needs to be replaced.
Steps to fix corrupt database file
- Close PowerPoint.
- Download an updated Database file here. http://www.presentationpro.com/downloads/PresPro_ExpressDB.zip
- Save the file to the following directory. C:/Users/[username]/AppData/Roaming/PresPro/DB/
- Delete all of the other files in the DB folder
- Extract the file ‘PresPro.mdb’ to this folder so it is directly in the DB folder and NOT in another sub folder.
- Now open PowerPoint and it should be fixed.
if you can't find the AppData folder, follow these instructions to show it.
- In Windows Explorer, click Tools and go to Folder Options... (if you don't see 'Tools' hit the ALT key and it should appear)
- Go to the View tab
- Under Advanced Settings: click the radio button next to "Show hidden files, folders, and drives"
- Click Apply
- Click OK